21 Jul Generation Z revolutionizes the cosmetic industry
With the ever-changing cosmetic industry and ever-evolving Generation Z, we ask ourselves: What does Generation Z expect from today's beauty brands?
According to the Cosmetic Executive Women’s 2021 report, Generation Z is the most fluid and diverse group. This group of consumers constantly challenges standards of traditional beauty and is very mindful of brand sustainability and transparency.
Cosmewax has analysed this generation of consumers born at the end of the 90s and the beginning of the 2000s in the cosmetic inductry. Discover what Generation Z is like.
What are they like?
60% buy their first product before they are 14 years old.
40% state that inclusion and diversity are crucial when choosing a beauty brand.
80% of Generation Z think brands should help conserve the environment.
44% have based their purchase decision on the recommendation of an influencer, versus 26% of the general population.
The 6 commandments of Generation Z
- New, beautiful, cheap brands. They support new businesses, which triumph on the networks. They have only just come of age, so they have limited budgets.
- One of their main concerns: to get rid of spots.
- Instagram as a main source of inspiration. Generation Z came into being with the Internet and they are the true natives of social networks.
- Moisturising is a priority. Hormonal changes make the skin dry out and become hypersensitive, despite spots.
- Highlighter, their great ally. This is the fetish cosmetic of this generation. Did you know that 17% of new skincare products mention the “glow” or “bright” effect in their description?
- Even better if it’s natural. Real awareness has grown in the cosmetic industry about the importance of natural elements and the rejection of chemical elements.
Ingredients which meet its skin requirements.
Exfoliating ingredients which remove dead cells and improve skin texture. PHA + AHA, Salicylic Acid, etc.
Ingredients which reduce skin imperfections: Niacinamide, Vitamin E or Witch Hazel.
Skin protecting ingredients: Prebiotics, Betaine, Aloe Vera.
Ingredients which calm acneic skin: Bisabolol, Calendula or Camphor.
Highlighter ingredients: Vitamin C or Glycolic Acid.