14 Mar COSMETIC REGULATION: Restricted the Use of Methyl-N-methylanthranilate
On 1 February 2022, the European Commission released Regulation (EU) 2022/135 amending Cosmetic Regulation as regards the use of Methyl-N-methylanthranilate in cosmetic products.
The substance Methyl-N-methylanthranilate (M-N-MA) (CAS No 85-91-6) is a fragrance ingredient used in various cosmetics. This ingredient was restricted in IFRA amendment 49, and its use was limited to 0.1% in most categories.
Main concerns of the use of M-N-MA:
- M-N-MA is phototoxic and there is a potential risk to human health from its use in sunscreen products and products marketed for exposure to natural or artificial ultraviolet light. This also applies to other cosmetic products where the concentration is:
- Leave-on products: more than 0.1 %
- Rinse-off products: more than 0.2 %
- There is also a potential risk to human health arising from the use of M-N-MA with nitrosating agents.
Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 is therefore amended accordingly in Annex III, including the following entry:
- From 21 August 2022 cosmetic products containing that substance and not complying with the restrictions shall not be placed on the Union market.
- From 21 November 2022 cosmetic products containing that substance and not complying with the restrictions shall not be made available on the Union market.
Cosmewax is expert at product safety and cosmetics regulation. We offer a full assessment in compliance with the regulatory requirements of the European regulation to cosmetic manufacturers and distributors.
Our internal cosmetics safety assessors are experts in European, American and Canadian cosmetic regulations and we stay up to date on updates in cosmetic regulations.
We offer to our clients:
- Registration of cosmetic products and cosmetics advice service for labelling, ingredients, claims, testing, product notifications, etc.
- Products notification before they are placed on the market.
- Safety, stability and effectiveness studies of the products.
Cosmewax – Private Label Cosmetics