09 Feb Beauty trends: what to expect in 2022
It’s the start of a new year and the skincare world is getting ready for the next new thing, as well as consolidating existing beauty trends that have been around for a while.
If we had to sum up what’s in store in just two words, it would be “clean” and “simple”. According to the cosmetics experts at Cosmewax, these are the beauty trends to look out for in 2022:
- CLEAN BEAUTY: Although we’ve been hearing this term since 2018, it will still be a firm fixture in beauty routines in 2022. This concept promotes full awareness of the products we use, not only for their impact on skin care, but also for their life cycle, from sourcing ingredients to manufacturing, distribution, use and final destination. As the name suggests, “clean beauty” avoids questionable ingredients such as parabens, mineral oils, petroleum derivatives or ingredients of animal origin. Clean brands also prioritise plant and mineral ingredients over synthetic ones.
2. MINIMALIST FORMULAS: “Less is more” not only works in fashion, it also applies to beauty. Many cosmetics have an ingredients list featuring 20, 30 or even 40 components, which makes it difficult for consumers when trying to decipher the ingredients in products they want to buy. Many people therefore opt for products with easy-to-understand labels. It’s also believed that cosmetics with fewer ingredients are more sustainable, more effective and contain more concentrated active ingredients, not to mention reduce the risk of irritation and allergies.
3. SOLID AND WATERLESS COSMETICS: These are the perfect solution for summer, when you forget about your day-to-day routine, or when you travel and don’t want to pack a case full of creams and cleansers. Waterless cosmetics mean you can take your facial routine with you wherever you go, be it by plane, boat or car, and they’re ideal for air travel, as they take away the hassle of fluid restrictions. Just as effective as classic cosmetics (sometimes even more so), they’re also far more sustainable, as they save water and allow much more of the product to be packed into a small container. Thankfully, most cosmetics are now available in solid format, including shampoos, conditioners, micellar water, cleansing soap, deodorant, body moisturiser, perfumes, concealers, etc.
4. HOLISTIC BEAUTY: This beauty trend emerged during the worst months of the pandemic, which left us all feeling stressed and anxious. As a result, we discovered that cosmetics could help us find our inner balance, despite what was going on around us. To provide holistic wellbeing to consumers, brands prioritise natural ingredients and often use flower essences and/or essential oils. Holistic beauty also has undeniable allies in aromatherapy and chromotherapy.
5. MULTIFUNCTIONAL PRODUCTS: Ready to save on cosmetics and streamline your beauty routine? Simplifying skin care is not about cutting out steps, but using multifunctional cosmetics that do the job of several products. Some examples of 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 products include waxing kits with exfoliating and moisturising effects, cleansing gels with an exfoliating effect or cleansers with a mask effect, for instance.
6. BRIGHTENING PRODUCTS: Having a simple beauty routine doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy glowing skin! While matte finishes have always been popular, we’ve gradually seen a growing trend towards more natural and radiant skin. We’re talking about creams and serums rich in brightening active ingredients such as vitamin C or turmeric.
7. GENDER-NEUTRAL COSMETICS: In these times of greater diversity and inclusion, gender barriers are getting blurred and cosmetics need to appeal to a broader range of people. Enter gender-neutral beauty. These products are pragmatic, neutral and functional in design and fragrance, free from stereotypes and focus on the needs of the skin. While it’s true that female and male skin have their differences, they also have common concerns, and active ingredients like vitamin C, retinol, collagen and hyaluronic acid suit everyone’s routine.
In conclusion, always at the forefront of beauty, Cosmewax has the expertise and know-how to respond to these trends. For more information, please contact us at: https://cosmewax.com/home/contact-us/